Introducing lone chick to older birds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NoVA Chicks, Nov 28, 2009.

1. NoVA Chicks

NoVA Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    I have three birds (as of yesterday) a 14 month old hen, 3 month pullet, and 3 month maybe pullet (appropriately named Pat). I also have one lone egg still hanging on from my last hatch. who's due to go into lockdown tomorrow. If the little lone chick should make it, do I introduce him to the trio or keep him separated for a while? It was really cold last night so I kept the new birds in the house last night but they have a coop waiting for them. It occurs to me, though, that if I want to keep the chick with them that maybe I should just keep everyone in the house over the winter? Right now they're in a large rabbit cage in the dining room, but I could move them to the basement if they were staying.

Actually, it occurs to me that I could put them in my little "green house"--which is a class enclosure around what used to be the stairwell to the basement. Hmm, I wonder if that would work . . .

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I never introduce chicks to adult chickens til they are around the same size and can defend themselves if needed. That's usually around 3 or 4 months old. Adult chickens can starve out younger chicks and kill them. Your chick will need to be on a Starter/Grower feed and not a layer feed til it would be at POL. You also are going to need a heat lamp/ brooder box for one lone chick if it hatches.

3. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    So maybe I'd be better off going with the original plan of moving the trio into the coop and getting a nice feather duster to keep the lone chick company?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    That's how I would do it. You risk the older birds killing the chick and it needs it's own heat source plus food and water.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    If it does hatch, I would find 1 or 2 chicks from someone else to raise it with. That way it won't be one lonely chick growing alone and it would have buddies when its time to introduce to the bigger birds. A feather duster just doesn't provide companionship.

Good luck with the little one.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  6. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    There will be more chicks (hopefully) two weeks behind it, so it won't be alone for long.

I put the trio into the coop this morning and they seem to be doing fine. Now I need to give the indoor cage a good cleaning and set it back up as a brooder. [​IMG]

7. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    Well, the lone chick didn't make it. Looks like it died several days ago--probably as soon as I moved it to the Chick-bator. I guess I should have left it in with the others. [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry you lost the little guy. [​IMG]

9. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I'm so sorry you lost the poor little thing.

What do you mean 'It looks like it died several days ago'? Sounds like it had been several days since you checked on it.

Great day - Nancy

10. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    He should have hatched by now so I decided to candle him this morning (yes, I know I shouldn't--but I was pretty sure it was hopeless). No movement at all. I went ahead and opened the egg and he was dead and hadn't absorbed his yolk at all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by