Introducing mature rooster to 6 month old hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cabot, Sep 27, 2010.

1. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

I have recently aquired a 16 month old EE roo. An aquaintance of a friend was culling her flock and no longer wanted him or his hens. I have found homes for his hens but I would like to keep him for my own flock. He is a gentle, respectful rooster and none of his 14 ladies have bald heads or backs despite being kept in a relatively small enclosure (approx. 6 X 8), as a matter of fact, some of his hens are pecking at him and he just stands there and takes it..... He also didn't mind when I went into his pen to look at him. It really seemed a shame to cull him. I currently have a mixed flock of 9 six month old pullets (newly laying) and they are kept in a large paddock with plenty of room to stay out of each others way.

After his quarantine, how much fuss is it to introduce a mature roo to a younger flock. Is it as difficult as introducing new hens ? Should I keep one of his current ladies so I have 2 to introduce to my flock or would it be better to just introduce the roo ( my preference)..... How awful would it be if he had to be all alone during his quarantine ? The person taking the hens will be picking them up tomorrow, so I have to decide soon if I am keeping one of them...

Thank for your advice....

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It will be tough on him to be alone for a month. I'd keep a hen or 2 from the old flock to keep him company. It's also easier to introduce multiple birds to an established flock than a single bird, even if the singleton is a rooster and fully mature. He still will get picked on. Oh, he can probably fend for himself, but I still believe in "strength in numbers" when it comes to chicken integration.

Here's a great write up on integration.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Good luck.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Yes - though with your other hens being so young he may just walk in & announce a new sheriff is in town & be fine.

Usually in a flock with a rooster - the roo is first in the pecking order followed by big momma then on down the line.

With him as a late comer it will take him a couple weeks to work his way to the top, but I think he will be fine.

Just throw him in there after dark (I like to recommend 10 pm because its before my bed time & way after the hens). When they wake up in the morning they will hardly notice him.

Until he crows that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by