Introducing....Me!

Megdaline

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2018
New Zealand
Kia Ora, My Name is Meg and I'm a budding Chicken enthusiast from New Zealand. I'm a University student living with my mother and grandmother on a half acre section in a small town.

My family has kept chickens twice before, but both times were kind of on the fly because someone we knew needed to get rid of theirs. The last chicken of our last flock passed away recently, and I'm hoping to be a bit more purposeful and prepared about the next flock. I'm particularly interested in helping rehabilitate ex-battery hens, or other chickens that just need a good home.

Our by-laws limit us to 5 chickens and no roosters, so I'm looking for inspiration and tips on how to give chickens a great quality of life with minimal space and budget.

I'm excited to be here, and can't wait to see more of this awesome communities ideas!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You have certainly come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Definitely stop by our Learning Center, lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping chickens...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

If you have any further questions along the way, feel free to ask us.

Welcome to our roost! :)

dad0312b7d04cc741c5fadd2eac3e0a6--smiley-faces-emojis.jpg
:welcome:goodpost::highfive::jumpy:bun

Kia Ora, My Name is Meg and I'm a budding Chicken enthusiast from New Zealand. I'm a University student living with my mother and grandmother on a half acre section in a small town.

My family has kept chickens twice before, but both times were kind of on the fly because someone we knew needed to get rid of theirs. The last chicken of our last flock passed away recently, and I'm hoping to be a bit more purposeful and prepared about the next flock. I'm particularly interested in helping rehabilitate ex-battery hens, or other chickens that just need a good home.

Our by-laws limit us to 5 chickens and no roosters, so I'm looking for inspiration and tips on how to give chickens a great quality of life with minimal space and budget.

I'm excited to be here, and can't wait to see more of this awesome communities ideas!

Welcome to BYC! Nice to meet a fellow New Zealander! Autumn is the best time to buy ex battery hens, and you can get them for as cheap as $2. The North Island is where most large scale egg companies operate. Just look on the back of the egg box, and you'll probably see a phone number, just ring them and ask if they have any hens for sale. Ex battery hens will be lacking feathers and very scared of outside and grass. They may need help eating and drinking. They'll need to stay warm, be wormed and have their nails clipped. Aside from that, if you do purchase some ex battery girls, you'll be saving some lives.

G’Day from across the ditch Meg :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week articles which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your new flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Welcome to Backyard Chickens great goals you've layed out for yourself

Thanks so much for the tip!
I live in the Waikato, so I should be able to go an pick up hens at any of the North Island farms, and Autumn's not too far away, so hopefully I have time to buy or build a coop before some of the girls will be ready.

I was looking at some of the organisations that re- home battery hens, as I have heard it can take a lot of intensive care to rehabilitate them, but I'm not sure whether it's worth it and if I should just get them straight form a farm?

Welcome to BYC! Nice to meet a fellow New Zealander! Autumn is the best time to buy ex battery hens, and you can get them for as cheap as $2. The North Island is where most large scale egg companies operate. Just look on the back of the egg box, and you'll probably see a phone number, just ring them and ask if they have any hens for sale. Ex battery hens will be lacking feathers and very scared of outside and grass. They may need help eating and drinking. They'll need to stay warm, be wormed and have their nails clipped. Aside from that, if you do purchase some ex battery girls, you'll be saving some lives.

Thanks so much for the tip!
I live in the Waikato, so I should be able to go an pick up hens at any of the North Island farms, and Autumn's not too far away, so hopefully I have time to buy or build a coop before some of the girls will be ready.

I was looking at some of the organisations that re- home battery hens, as I have heard it can take a lot of intensive care to rehabilitate them, but I'm not sure whether it's worth it and if I should just get them straight form a farm?

Normally it costs a lot more to buy them from a rehabilitator. My step grandmother bought hers for $15 each. If you have the time and resources, buying them from a battery farm can be very rewarding. It does take alot of time and effort though. Buying chicks from a pet store is an option, but personally I don't like supporting the industries that throw away millions of males chicks each year. Giving ex battery hens a second chance is much better. EVERY farm, even the 'free range' and 'organic' farms cull their girls at only 18 months old. As in the first 18 months, egg production is highest. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll provide your future chickens with the best care possible!

Back
Top Bottom