Introducing millefleur sablepoot cockerel/ rooster to my hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Babsicles, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Babsicles

Babsicles Out Of The Brooder

I saw an advert on freegle (a website where people give things away for free, in England) from a lady who needed to rehome her little millefleur sablepoot cockerel/ rooster. I have 6 hens who all get on well- one silver partridge pekin bantam, 2 x brahmas, one light Sussex bantam, a partridge silkie and an araucana. My concerns are: (1.) my two enormous brahma girls are at the top of the pecking order- will they massacre the poor chap? (2.) the lady who has the cockerel/ rooster said that her hens died suddenly after symptoms such as lethargy and going off their food; this sounds like mareks to me. Apparently he is right as rain and shows no ill health. I lost my welsummer hen to mareks earlier this year despite her being vaccinated against it. My other hens are fine though, and are in perfect health despite being exposed to her during the early stages of her illness. So- would it be foolish to introduce this little guy? He is really beautiful and I had hoped to use him for breeding (if he could even get on top of the brahmas- not likely!). I also don't want him to have to be destroyed if he isn't able to be rehomed (I am a massive softy). Most importantly, I don't want to hurt my girls, I love them so much! Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also- in case anyone wonders it is totally fine with our neighbours, etc, for us to have a cockerel/ rooster.

Many thanks :)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'd be tempted to take him too. They are gorgeous chickens! But what worries me is that his flock mates died and you don't know what caused it. If you do decide to take him (I get the feeling you're going to) keep him quarantined as far as possible away from your hens for at least a month to make sure he really is healthy. Hopefully he will be O.K.

3. Babsicles

Thank you for your thoughts- The lady said that they were brothers and sisters, which she hatched herself. Apparently one of the hens that died didn't live with her, as she gave it to her mother, so do you think they were just weak or deficient in some way, either genetically or because they weren't raised with enough nutrients? I have seen a photo of him and he has clear eyes, a lovely red comb and seems chipper! I do have An ark that I built in which he could live for quarantine time... [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It could be anything, really. Genetics, disease, mismanagement... Just be careful with this roo if you take him. He's a beautiful boy, but it would be tragic if he makes your girls sick. An ark would be good, but remember they must not come close to each other and you'll have to be careful when you work with them. Don't handle him and go directly to the girls and handle them, for example.

5. Babsicles

Thank you Sumi- I don't feel like I am floundering in hypothetical wilderness anymore!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by