introducing my chicks with my pullets? suggestions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frizzlefritz, Aug 20, 2010.

1. frizzlefritz

frizzlefritz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Aldergrove
    hi

i recently bought 2 six week old chicks and 2 4 month old pullets. the pullets are living in the coop right now and the chicks are living in a horse stall in the barn. I would really like to get them in to the same pen as soon as possible. any suggestions would be great [​IMG]
    Rachel

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would put the younger ones in the coop in a cage for a little while. If you free range, i would let them free range together after a couple of days of being able to see each other but not access each other.

In the coop, after a few days, if you feel comfortable (this process requires some observation to determine good timing), you can make so the younger chicks can go in their enclosure or come out of it, but the larger birds can't get in. This gives the little one a place to hide while they're learning how to get along with the big girls.

Soon, the little ones will join the big girls on their own.

That's what i do anyway.

3. frizzlefritz

Aug 20, 2010
    Aldergrove
    ok thanks for your reply....the little ones are still little enough to live a cat carrier so do you think i should put them in that in the big girls coop?

4. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:You could do that, but when you start letting them go back and forth, the important thing is that the little ones can get in, but the bigs ones can't follow them. So you might have to fashion a temporary door with a smaller opening for that stage.

5. frizzlefritz

Aug 20, 2010
    Aldergrove
    ok i think i will do that [​IMG] thank you for your advice

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:You're welcome! I hope it goes well for you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by