Introducing my older male to a younger male/female

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Animallover2k, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Animallover2k

Animallover2k Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    Hi,
    Let me start by saying I know nothing about ducks. I've recently moved into a new home on a small lake that had two Pekin Ducks. The woman who owned the ducks (my neighbor) has moved and I was left with the care of these two domestic ducks. Unfortunately, the female of this pair just got killed. Again, I know next to nothing about ducks but I can tell the remaining male is lonely. I thought finding him a new friend might be a good answer. I researched and found someone who has grown ducks for sale. The ducks for sale are 18 months old, mine is about 4-5 years old. Is this a good idea just bringing in another duck? Should I get only one or maybe 2 or 3? Can they just be released on our lake and make it? I know my last question probably has a lot to do with how they were raised. I'm at a loss and just trying to learn and do what I can to help this poor lonely duck out. I'm also open to finding him a new home if that would be best for him... Any answers out there?
    Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Animallover2k Welcome to BYC As you have found out domestic ducks have no way of fending off predators whether they are wild or domestic dogs. They can't fly and most preds will even swim to get a yummy duck dinner. If It was me I'd try to find the lone duck a good safe home, unless you have some kind of secure place for them to sleep at night, even during the day on a lake with people living close by who have dogs makes it very dangerous for domestic ducks to live very long. If you decide to find him some friends after all I'd get him at least 3-4 so if any others get taken by a predator there won't be one left again.

1 person likes this.
  3. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    Thank you so much for your response! Finding him a good safe home is really my first choice. At night he sleeps out in the lake on a fallen tree that was taken down by beavers. That is his only safe place. Do you know of anywhere that would take him? I live in the Atlanta area. I would be willing to take him a distance if it would provide the protection and care that I know he needs.
    Thanks again.

4. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    Thank you so much for your response. I would much prefer to find this poor guy a safe home. Right now he's all alone and sleeps at night on a tree trunk that has fallen into the lake. Do you know of anywhere that might take him that could offer a good safe home? I live in the Atlanta area. I am willing to travel to get him to a good place.
    Thanks again for your time.

5. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    Thank you so much for your response. I would much prefer to find this poor guy a safe home. Right now he's all alone and sleeps at night on a tree trunk that has fallen into the lake. Do you know of anywhere that might take him that could offer a good safe home? I live in the Atlanta area. I am willing to travel to get him to a good place.
    Thanks again for your help.

6. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    Sorry. My computer locked up and I didn't know that my reply had gone through so many times [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Look up rescues in your area. There is Carolina Water fowl rescue out side of Charlotte NC but that would a good drive.As big as Atlanta is surely there are some rescues around. I hope so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by