Introducing my two new BLRW babies....(PICS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dwegg, Jan 18, 2010.

1. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so a small 4H group hatched baby chicks near me and did it for the experience and were giving them away so I quickly scooped the two BLRW (hopefully) girls.

This is my first time with chicks...

1. Is my container ok for them for now? I have a wire top for it as well.
    2. What should I watch for with regards the heat lamp temp.?
    3. When are they able to be moved outside to their own little coop?
    4. When can they safely be integrated into my little flock?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the feed store is closed today and I will go tomorrow to get them proper feeder and waterer for chicks...I have chick feed for them.

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Looks like a Partridge type. Maybe Partridge Rock. Do they have Partridge Wyandottes? Could also be a Golden Laced Wyandotte. Although, those look like single combs, which suggests rocks. I only say suggest, because hatchery wyandottes sometimes throw single combs. I love my BLRW, but the other nicest birds I have are GLW, and PR.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Cute babies. I have no idea if they are BLRW or not, never had them.

To answer your questions:
    1. Is my container ok for them for now? I have a wire top for it as well. If you have some rocks or marbles, you can add those to the water dish so they don't fall in and drown. They appear to be old enough, but I'd watch them closely.
    2. What should I watch for with regards the heat lamp temp.? Too hot = they will be trying to get away from the heat and maybe panting. Too cold = them piling on top of each other and peeping loudly. Just right = cruising around and sleeping together but not crammed. Try to get the temp around 90 at the bottom of the brooder. You'll see if they want less heat. (mine liked 85-88) Then decrease the temp 5 degrees each week.
    3. When are they able to be moved outside to their own little coop? They need to be fully feathered first. I moved mine at 6 weeks with a heat lamp, but it mostly depends on the temps in your area.
    4. When can they safely be integrated into my little flock? Mine are 12 weeks old and I still haven't integrated them yet. They are starting to make adult noises, so I will try soon. I'm going to wait another week then slip them in at night. (they have already been interacting on the see but can't touch) I'm hoping it will go well. [​IMG]

4. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

These eggs all came from a local breeder not a hatchery so I am pretty sure these are BLRW...but i will post pics of them again in a few weeks. They are doing just fine in the bathroom. Chirping away, eating and drinking after a long sleep after I brought them home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by