1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Introducing Myself.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChookyGirl, Jul 26, 2014.

1. ChookyGirl

ChookyGirl In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi there!
    My family started keeping chickens late last year (Santa's elves actually brought them and a coop for our kids, lol!) and have quickly become obsessed with them.
    We decided to keep only bantam breeds, and have a golden laced Wyandotte (Sammy), a partridge Wyandotte (Spikey), an Australorp (Sarah), a milliefleur Belgian Duccle (Honey), a lavender Belgian Duccle (Snowflake), and 2 black and white mottled Belgian Duccles (Anna and Elsa). The kids named them all. ;) They're not all laying yet, even though they're old enough, but I'm hoping come Spring they will begin.
    Sammy went broody about a month ago, so we decided to give her some fertile eggs, and she's been so wonderful. As it's been a bitterly cold and wet winter, she's got a nursery set up in our bathroom. We candled the eggs tonight, and out of 11 eggs, 8 are growing little chicks! Very exciting times. One of the winning eggs has a crack, which we taped up - so I'm apprehensively excited about that one, and hoping like crazy it lives. We have a chance of getting either Silkies, Frizzles or Sizzles. :) It's our first time hatching eggs and raising chicks, I hope we do it all right, it's very nerve wracking!
    It's all a wonderful learning experience, and we are learning more each day. I'm so glad to have found a site with lots of like minded chicken lovers! Hello to you all! :D

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Welcome to BYC!
    I would be a bit weary about leaving a cracked egg under a broody, she might step on it and make it break, causing the nest to be contaminated with an excellent growth medium for bacteria. Something to think about.

Good luck with your hatch, and I suggest browsing through the learning center and the hatching threads.

3. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    HI and welcome to BYC![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So glad you joined us. Good luck with your hatching!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. ChookyGirl

Jul 26, 2014
    Thank you everyone! :) Sumi - They are due on August 9th.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They still have a bit to, hey? Fingers crossed all will go well! Broody hatches are so much fun. I could spent all day watching hens with their chicks.

7. ChookyGirl

Jul 26, 2014
    Yep, another very long 2 weeks. I definitely need something to distract me from watching her all day, lol! Thanks so much. :)

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck on the broody hatch! Watching mommas and their chicks is a very rewarding experience.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by