Introducing naked neck to flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvchickens, Jun 29, 2010.

1. luvchickens

luvchickens New Egg

Jan 5, 2008
    Shickshinny
    I have a flock of 10 hens and 2 roosters and I wold like to introduce my naked neck pullet to the group. How do you make this transition go well so she don't get hurt? My worry is she has thin skin and i don't want her pecked open or deeply scratched. Any help would be great! Thanks

Holly

2. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    I dont have any experience with actual naked necks, but my hens molted and havent grown their feathers back yet (sigh) so they are "naked necks" right now lol.

Try placing her with them at night so they can wake up to her there and will (hopefully) just leave her be.But if youre skeptical about that put her in her own small enclosure in with where the others are so they can get used to her presence but cant touch her.

OR just walk in there holding her and if you have a few hours to devote to the chickens, stay with them for awhile and just put her down close to your feet. when they start fighting just swat the others away. maybe theyll get the idea, maybe they wont. but thats how we transferred ours and they got the picture. it helps if you move things around so their "territory" that they will defend from her is less familiar and theyll be too occupied with figuring out the new locations of everything that theyll assume shes just another change [​IMG]

Best of wishes; hope this will help a little!

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Your Naked Neck should be fine, just watch them when you intro her, she may get hurt. But in my experience naked necks tuck their necks in when in an unfamiliar situation.
    Making them look like "neckless" naked necks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by