Introducing new 3.5 month old pullets

Tlco

Songster
Sep 5, 2016
Taylor, Tx
Forgive the long post. I just got 4 new 3.5 month old hens. I already have 3 5mo old hens who are laying along with a rooster who is about 1 to 2 yrs old. The older hens and rooster have a nice hen house large enough for whole flock once together. Right now i have my new younger hens in their own coop. I figure to not let them out to free range for sometime as i want them to understand that is where they need too roost. My other older hens and rooster have free range of our yard. Will it be ok to let them run together in our yard after a few weeks. What is best why to introduce these new guys. The starter coop is not close to the other coop.

Attachments

• 20190216_165455.jpg
    20190216_165455.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190216_165506.jpg
    20190216_165506.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190216_170516.jpg
    20190216_170516.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190216_170516(0).jpg
    20190216_170516(0).jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190216_170521.jpg
    20190216_170521.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 6
So if i read your link right, you kept them separated for 2 weeks then let them start free ranging together after the 2 weeks, then after 2 days of roaming together they put themselves in with the older flock?
Not quite.
I let the new girls roam around in the pen for 2 days while the original flock was out free ranging and locked out of the pen. After that, I let the new girls into the pen for about an hour then let the main flock into the pen. They all roamed the 1/4 acre pen together from that point on with the new girls having full access to the main coop and run.
Each night the new girls returned to their isolation coop and the original flock to the main coop.
After 6 days of this, I found the new girls had roosted in the main coop. The head pullet of the new girl trio was the one who hopped up on the roost next to the cockerel.
It really was just stupid easy. But I have lots of room.

It really was just stupid easy. But I have lots of room.
That it was!!
...and space was the key.

@Tlco Here's some tips on....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Great information i wish i had the kind of room you are talking about. We dont have runs as our chicken have free range of our yard. The coop is 12x12 and out in the yard, then on our back porch I have a starter pen 9x12. My hope is in about 2 weeks i can let everybody out in the yard together then all will go to their coops to roost for the night. I plan to let the new commers out by themselves at first to get use to the yard without being chased. Will do that for several days before letting existing flock out with them.

This morning when we let our existing chickens out the rooster lead them to the back porch to see the new comers. They have been there all morning checking each other out. It is hilarious how he dances for them. As they are so close in age my hope is the introduction wont be too bad when they do finally meet. I can put out more feeding areas and water, and i am sure i can make some hidy wholes. Thank you again for the help. Will update later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom