Introducing new babies to girls just starting to lay ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stacyjean, Dec 3, 2012.

1. stacyjean

stacyjean New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    So I need a little advice... I have 4 ladies who are about to start laying ( one already is and I think the others are about to start). I'm planning on picking up 3 new girls who will be 5 weeks old this week. My plan is to introduce them but keep them separate in the yard and coop until everyone is comfortable with the new arrangement. So do you think the new roommates will have an effect on the almost layers? Positive ? Negative?I would hate to delay them ... Am I being paranoid? I really want these new guys but also really want to start getting eggs too. Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    :frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

In my opinion, you should go ahead with it.

They are living animals so I can't give you any guarantees, but they probably won't be affected by those young chicks as far as egg laying. If those chicks were old enough to upset the pecking order it would be much more likely to have an effect, but they are not. Your older pullets will thoroughly dominate the young chicks to the point the young chicks will create a separate flock for most of the day.

I don't know exactly what your set-up looks like or your exact plan but it sounds like a decent plan. As long as they have plenty of room so the young ones can avoid the older and you house them side by side for a while so they get used to each other before they can get at each other, it should work. I do think extra roost room is important when integrating them. The most problems I have with chicks that age occur on the roost as they are settling on at night.

Good luck and again, :frow

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Your plan to introduce them gradually sounds very well-reasoned to me. That's exactly the best way to do it--let them get to know each other on opposite sides of a fence for a week or so before you introduce them. When you do introduce them, make sure that the youngsters have a way to get away from a pecking older pullet--don't lock them all into a small coop, for instance.

Don't be surprised if they act like two separate flocks sharing a living space even after they've been together for a while. In my experience, older hens pretty much shun younger ones until the youngsters grow up and start laying.

I don't think introducing these babies, especially as gently as you plan to do it, will change the laying schedule of your younger pullets one bit. You're not really stressing them out.

[​IMG]

4. stacyjean

stacyjean New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    Thanks so much, the newbies r comin home tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by