Introducing new babies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mrslb333, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I have a 10 week old Aylesbury not too sure if its a drake or a hen? It makes no noise at all but has no drake feather yet either so if any one knows how I can tell that would be brilliant. I've just moved her/him into a new big pen. I also have two Cayuga's ( 1 drake 1 hen) and one runner (hen) all 4 weeks old.
    I'm hoping to move the little ones out this week Question is should I put them with the older one or wait till they're a bit bigger?
    They have all been introduced and apart from a bit of friendly pecking from the older one they seem to get along but this is out in the garden so not sure if it would be the same in a smaller space. What's the worst that could happen?

2. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    What do ur cayugas eggs look like???

3. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Mine don't lay but the ones I've hatched or bought for eating have been either a light grey colour or they have a sort of black coating which comes off if you wash them [​IMG]

4. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Would you reccomend them as laying pets? R they quiet??? Thx btw

5. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    About the sex, at 10 weeks you should be able to tell from the voice - a female should make a proper quacking sound. If yours isn't, it's probably a male, and it shouldn't have drake feathers yet because they'll come through with the adult set of feathers in a few weeks [​IMG]

6. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I got mine from my neighbour she has 4 hens and 1 drake and she gets on average 3 per day so I think thats v.good. They are really quiet compared to the Runner ducks she has. I had them for exactly those reasons and another bonus is they are Sooo friendly and cuddly mine follow me everywhere.

7. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote:That sounds about right being as we named it 'Mrs' Quackleton the two we gave boys names to are starting to develop really nice quacks! lol

8. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Yeah that does sound right! [​IMG] Typical eh? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by