Introducing new baby chick to my adult hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wjpike1, Apr 18, 2016.

1. wjpike1

wjpike1 New Egg

Mar 30, 2014
    Hi,
    I have a 2 year old hen that is friendly and generally happy now that I am letting her free range in my yard most of the day. I have always hated that she is alone - the other chick I bought died at around 9 mos old (didn't make it through the AZ summer). She has successfully made it through 2 summers now and I believe I now know what to do. Anyway, long story short, I have been wanting a couple more chickens and got a baby chick today. Poor little thing is cheeping non stop. I have read all of those threads and at the moment she is quiet and sleeping with a fluffy teddy bear, and a warm bag of rice. Anyway, I am sure this was probably the wrong thing to do, but I had both of them out free in the yard this evening. The little chick immediately started following the big hen around probably thinking it was mama. The hen did not seem too interested of course, not her baby, and even looked like she was going to peck the baby once. I got between them after that. Anyway, should I just keep doing that a little each day until hen gets used to chick being around, or should I be waiting until the baby is much older to let them be around each other? Also, should I go get another one so baby is not lonely or do you think it will settle down in a couple of days? Thanks for your advice.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You need another chick, and you shouldn't introduce them to her until at least 6 and preferably 8-10 weeks of age. At this time she's liable to kill it if she's so inclined, and the reason it's being loud is because it's lonely. Chicks raised alone are never quite "right" in the head as adults, they need companionship.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great advice. You may want to check out this link, once you have a few more chicks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1069595/introducing-chicks-to-adults#post_16276224

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by