Introducing new birds to the flock. . .

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frozenchick, Jun 21, 2008.

1. frozenchick

frozenchick Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Prepare for a stupid question. I have 5 new hens that I want to introduce to my flock, but am not sure how to go about it. This is my first time getting mature hens. I typically get chicks and raise them, but my friend just gave me some of her laying hens. I'm not really sure when or how to introduce them to my current flock. Right now they are quarantined with some food and water, but no access to my other birds. I free range so if I let them into the coop and then outside will they run away?I have a dozen hens, about 25 chicks, and 2 roos. I know this is a fairly stupid question, but again have never gotten full-grown birds before. Any suggestions?

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Put them in the coop at night. Stand back for there will be a pecking order squabble the next day or week. They will get over it.

3. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I put my existing flock out, and put my younger birds in the coop, shut in for a few hours. This allowed the younger birds to get used to the new area, where the food, water was etc... When I opened the chicken door and the older birds came in, they didn't seem to attack the younger ones and were a bit flabbergasted at their presence. The only real fighting happened when the younger birds went outside with the older ones, which the older birds deemed their new turf, I guess. (although they still go inside at night, and for food/water.) It's been a bit over a week now and no one has gotten hurt. The younger birds are now venturing outside with minimal repercussions from the older birds and I think they're working it all out. Good luck! I would also suggest you integrate on a weekend, or when you have a day or two available together to watch them carefully.

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

At night put them on the roosts next to the other hens (with the lights off so they don't know whats going on). There will be some fighting the following days, thats unavoidable, it's called a pecking order for a reason! But they'll get over it soon enough

5. frozenchick

frozenchick Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the advice. I let them out this weekend with the other birds only for a little bit at a time and all seems to be going well. The roosters are pretty happy that there are more hens [​IMG] Today will be the first day they get to be with the current flock all day. We'll see what happens. My Americauna rooster seems to have claimed all of them so their pretty much by themselves anyway. The other rooster tends to keep the hens away from the Americauna so maybe all will remain well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by