Introducing new birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvmybirdz, Oct 30, 2011.

1. luvmybirdz

luvmybirdz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2011
    I'm fairly new to ckns and I currently have 2 roosters (brothers) and 3 ducks that are use to being together. In the next day or two I'm getting our first batch of chicks to raise. We are getting 15 hens and 1 more roo. I was reading up on intoducing new ckns to an existing 'flock' and am not sure if this will be different. Much of what I was reading was about alreading having hens, which we don't have. I know there is a concern about the new roo being introduced, but the girls should all be fine, right? From what I read there could be new squabbles with the roos I already have too. Should I expect there to be problems w/the roos and the new girls?

I also saw that you should wait till they're a bit bigger/older to introduce them but does this apply since there aren't other hens? I'm just trying to figure out how to handle things and be prepared (physically) w/our set up to have them seperate for awhile if need be. I don't intend on keeping chickens in my house past 2 months! The ducks and roos I have free range mostly. We have the coop done which the boys use now and the ducks have their own house. I can put the boys back into their prior smaller housing and let the newbies have run of the coop and run while the others free range. They are big boys too (light brahmas)! I want to have the least issues as possible. Getting them this time of year w/the cold coming is enough to worry about...I don't want a bunch of fighting issues. Thanks for the info!

2. luvmybirdz

Sep 11, 2011
    Any thoughts please?

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just sold a teenager Roo because he was not trying to mate the girls but was beating them up so he had to go. I have three other roosters with no problems.

4. luvmybirdz

Sep 11, 2011
    Well, now I'm wondering if I'll have another sort of problem. Our bigger rooster, who oddly enough isn't the dominant one, chased my son this morning. He does this funny sideways walk to try to herd an animal that he wants to go away. He was doing it to my son while he sat on a log and watched them. Oh, this was right after they were let out this morning. They are most 'aggresive' w/eachother at this time of day. Right out of the house the dominant roo chases and pecks at/jumps on the other one. I think the other one is finally realizing his size now and starting to push back. So, when my son turned to walk away the nondominant one that was 'herding' my son started to chase after him. So if he continues to act this way and gets aggressive he'll be dinner. I don't know yet what will happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by