introducing new blood

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, Nov 6, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have heard that once you introduce a new blood in your breeding pens, the first generation results in bad offspring. Is this true? What can I expect when crossing two different bloodlines?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I wouldnt say that, what breeds are you talking about and are you introducing new blood of the same breed or like new blood as in an outcross to another breed to get certain color genes or something from another breed ?

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I am talking about silkies and breeding towards the standard. Oh and I am talking about blue black and splash.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    OK Well I dont breed Silkies and from listening to those who do, they seem to have their own jumbles of genes so I'll let the silkie breeders with experience with it answer you.

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I would say only if you are introducing low quality birds other wise it should be fine
    punky

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The only breed I can think of in which introducing new blood would ruin your quality of are dark egg layers. Introducing new lines may wreck the quality of the egg color.

Otherwise, just as long as the new Silkies are good quality, it should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by