introducing new chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jstmargarita, Mar 2, 2014.

1. jstmargarita

jstmargarita New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    please help.... new to forum..... needed a new hen for my lone ameracana. picked out a 6 month old wynedot.... they do not get along. I have been keeping them separate for the past week and have let them be together each day. And they fight. Now I am in a real problem as the newbee is in a small temporary crate. Will they ever be able to be in the coop together????

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They are going to peck, to establish who is the lead hen. If they aren't drawing blood, let them sort it out. It's often recommended to house them side by side for about a month before attempting together time. Also, giving them lots of space to integrate will help, especially if this gives them hiding places. You may have to provide a second food and water source for a while --- a couple of old bowls are fine. It may help to distract them with treats or new objects when you turn them out together. You could also try putting them next to each other on the roost just after dark, hoping they will be accustomed to each other after a night next to each other.

3. jstmargarita

jstmargarita New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply....... sounds like at one week, it's too soon to really worry. They are my only two girls.... my pets. The first two we had we so good together as I raised them from one day old. It has been two weeks since our favorite girl peacefully didn't wake up one morning. I will give it more time before I start to panic again.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It could take more than one time, so don't panic. They need time. They'll work it out. I would leave them together and let them sort it out as Flockwatcher said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by