Introducing new chickens to exsisting flock!

MeganBack

Chirping
Dec 7, 2017
Please help! I have recently got 3 olive Eggers, 2 hens and 1 rooster. I have been keeping them in a dog kennel inside of the chicken coop. The only breed I have is silkies and they’re about 6 months old so they’re getting pretty big. I was just wondering how I should introduce them? I don’t want the olive Eggers to kill the silkies since they’re so much bigger.

Last edited:
Listen to your inner voice on trying to mix standards and Silkies. Silkies are not a very assertive breed, besides being of bantam size. It's wise to keep the two sizes separated or the Silkies are apt to get the short end of the stick once the new chickens start to feel at home.

Some chickens can live together fine depending on the aggressiveness of your birds. I had silkies and eastereggers together with no problems or fighting and I only had 2 silkies and 5 Easter eggers. The ee’s were standard and the silkies were the normal tiny silkie size. I eventually got another coop and separated my silkies and got a couple more and made a silkie only coop but it depends more on the birds then the breeds. Good luck with whichever decision you choose.

5C9B0CCA-3EBC-49CA-8E3D-1F3C35F0F2F1.jpeg
I’m so glad I decided to keep my olive eggers and just try it with my silkies!! Everyone gets a long great with each other. I had no issues at all.

Attachments

• 43A3844D-128A-4327-8FF8-1DAA61563AA8.jpeg
    43A3844D-128A-4327-8FF8-1DAA61563AA8.jpeg
    701.9 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom