introducing new chickens to flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newjchick, Apr 2, 2012.

1. newjchick

newjchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    I recently introduced 4 20-week-old chickens to my existing flock of 5 hens. One of those 4 chickens is a rooster. Here are some positives:

1. Chickens have learned to go into coop at nighttime.
    2. There was some pecking at the 4 younger chickens but never to the degree that blood was drawn or injury occurred.

Now the negatives:

1. I don't think the 4 new chickens have integrated into the existing flock. They are almost like a second flock coexisting with my original flock of 5.
    2. The 4 younger chickens have lost weight. In fact, they don't feel healthy when I pick them up - lots of bones, not much meat.
    3. My one rooster (part of the younger flock of 4) has stopped crowing. When he was in the brooder box in my garage he consistently crowed in the early morning. Maybe I'm just not hearing him b/c the coop is a little ways back from my house, but I don't hear him crowing at all when I'm outside during the day.
    4. My one rooster is not really acting rooster-like - he runs away from my older girls. Isn't he supposed to be keeping the girls in line, calling the shots, or am I mistaken??
    5. I don't think the rooster is mating with the hens...is he too young?? Will he ever assert himself with the older hens?? Will I ever get fertilized eggs?

I know, lots of issues. It's just that things didn't turn out quite like I expected. Have I done something wrong?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

3. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    It could be there pecking order they are trying to work out.....and if they are losing weight then you should put more than 1 feeder and waterer in there pen because chickens will guard food and water and not let any other chickens get any so you should make shure theres plenty of food and water for all and make shure there is enough space for each chicken and that they are not bored and kept happy.[​IMG]

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop

I answered above under your numbers, but since I'm using my iPad I can't do much editing to make the colors different. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  5. Jeniffer

Jeniffer New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    I have four older women who rule our hen house. My new baby girls and one rooster are not allowed to go into the hen house at night. They are staying outside and roosting there all night long. I don't mind this arrangement now because it's summer. Yet, I will have to integrate them at some point because of the winter and cold weather. I do have a closing mechanism for the hen house to the outside. I have tried unsuccessful to close "in" the babies. The older hens make schreeching noises all night. I realize they are not happy with their new roomates, yet, how do I get the all to just BE in the same area??

6. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Before dark put the chickens that are getting picked on in the coop then lock them in,then leave the more dominating hens outside........or lock the coop with no chickens inside and make them all roost outside for a couple days.....and they might all get along after awhile.[​IMG]

7. Here is some very good info. Aimed mainly at bringing in new chickens...but if you scroll down about 3/4 of the way you will see some tips on bringing in chicks as well.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

PS. Your rooster will be fine. It may take a few weeks but the girls will eventually submit. Your probably looking at a good week anyway before everyone gets it figured out (the hens I mean) the above advice about another feeder is right on as well. You want to do that asap.
    I thought I was going through the same thing once, until I went out and found the rooster trying to mount one of the younger ones. As she screamed bloody murder my HIC (hen in charge) come hauling a** across the run and knocked him off. Thats when I knew everyone was going to be just fine.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  8. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    If I post a picture of my rooster on this page,will anyone PLEASE!!!!!help me?with what breed it is I would love it for any feedback.

9. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Ok i will......thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by