Introducing new chickens to my old flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunshine ducky, Oct 11, 2016.

1. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Good Morning everyone! I'm having newly hatched day old chicks coming this summer and was thinking to add them to my chicken coop. The problem is my old chickens are 6 months already so by the time I get my chicks they'll be fully grown, and I've heard that some hens bully chickens that are smaller then them. But then again my flock of hens are supposed to be breeds that are broody a lot (buff orpington) (australorp). So Should I make a separate coop for my new chickens, and once they are the same size of my original hens put them in my original coop or should I introduce them right away to my hens when they go broody? thanks for reading!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Build another pen...Introduce once they are bigger...

Best advise I can give..Even if a hen goes broody? Does not always mean she will want the Chicks...

Cheers!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Your best bet is to read some of the many threads and articles related to: Integration of younger birds to an existing flock. How to brood baby chicks. Outdoor brooding with Mama heating pad. Also, be sure you have plenty of room for the new birds. The oft quoted recommendation of a minimum of 4 sq.ft. in coop, 10 sq. ft. in run/bird is just that: a minimum. When integrating, or if you have a roo in the mix, you will need more room. Every flock has it's own set of dynamics, and every flock keeper has their own method of husbandry/stewardship that works for them. So, you will have to do a lot of reading and find out what works best for you. I wish you the best. It's good that you are thinking and problem solving ahead of time.

4. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    thank you all so much! this advice has helped a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by