INTRODUCING NEW CHICKENS TO THE FLOCK

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zuluchicken, Aug 18, 2016.

1. zuluchicken

zuluchicken Out Of The Brooder

This is how I introduce new chickens to my old flock. I have been using this method for many years with great success. The photos will tell the story.

I have made this small enclosure inside my chicken run where I place food and water for the new baby chickens. On the one side, close to the fence there is a gap just big enough for the new chickens to leave and enter the enclosure. The older chickens are too big to follow them into the enclosure. They learn very quick to use this escape and it works well until they are fully integrated. This method also ensures that they always have excess to fresh water and food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I do something similar. I like the escape hole along the fence. I usually add mine when they are 4-8 weeks old. Nice set up.

1 person likes this.
  3. zuluchicken

zuluchicken Out Of The Brooder

I normally introduce the new chickens at 8 weeks but this time I was a bid late. These are now 11 weeks old. It is amazing how quickly they learn to use the escape route when things are getting too "hot" in the run. I have never lost a chicken due to injuries from the others since I have been using this method for the past 6-7 years.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm glad to see they did fine at an older age, as I have always wondered what age is too old for it still to be easy to integrate. Nice to know they could be a bit older too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by