Introducing new chickens to the flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shahann, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Shahann

Shahann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    I have an established flock of 17 Buff Orpington hens. Ages range from 1.5 years to five months. All are laying. Last week I bought three Barred Rock hens approximately 22 months old each. They are in parallel runs. They have seen each other for four days but have not been mixed yet. All are hens.

On Wednesday this week I plan on getting two Ameraucana hens and one Ameraucana rooster. I can keep the groups separate during the day. In the evenings I have to decide where to put them. Should I mix the new Ameraucana group (including the rooster) with the new Barred Rock hens? Should I put the Barred Rock hens with my established Orpington group? Should I try to catch the rooster and put him in a pet taxi in the coop? Should I put either the three Barred Rock or the new three Ameraucanas in a pet taxi at night? Decisions, decisions. Should I just say no to the person selling the Ameraucana or wait until I can mix the Barred Rock in with the Orpingtons? This should be the last addition to my flock.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Shahann

Shahann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Thanks, Judy.

4. jaseyboy1986

jaseyboy1986 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    Norfolk, UK