Introducing new chickens with older ones

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by drinnenm, Feb 4, 2014.

1. drinnenm

drinnenm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2012
    I have 8 hens 4 are 2 yrs. old and 4 are 1 yr. old....I keep them in a run area about 15' x 25' (tried to let them free range but one was attached last fall by a hawk and almost lost her, needless to say they don't free range anymore). BUT my question is, a neighbor moved off and left 4, 1 yr old hens and they just roam the woods. 2 have been gotten by something probably a hawk or coyote, 2 are left and I wanted to try and get them in with mine (to protect and feed them). How can I introduce them to my flock? I have been feeding them scratch and providing them water to help them survive the winter. I'm gonna get them this weekend and I really don't know what to do.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you're not concerned about health issues (search medical quarantine).....section off part of your coop with chicken wire, so your existing flock can see them but not touch them, and keep them in there for a couple weeks or three then let them into the run together and see how it goes. There will be some pecking and posturing but as long as there's no blood drawn they should figure out the pecking order pretty quickly.

3. hens number1

hens number1 New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    I have 12 hens and 1 rooster they will be one years old in May. But I am starting an egg business so I need more hens so in May I am getting baby chicks and I will keep them apart until they are 18 weeks old after that they will share a coop. So what I would do is put them all in a large area together then put the new hens out side the fence at night, the next day put them together again until you think they can spend the night with them without getting pecked. Always have some cover up lotion on hand in case one does get picked.[​IMG]

4. drinnenm

Oct 12, 2012
    thank you, that's what I was thinking but needed a second opinion :) I added on to my coop last summer so I have a second door and can section off the new part so they can go in and out of the coop. thanks again!

5. drinnenm

Oct 12, 2012
    Ok trying today to introduce my 2 orphans into the existing flock after having them in a seperated cage in the run area for almost 2 weeks. One of the orphans is quiet and docile the other is pretty donimate and always trys to peck your hand. The docile one just almost blended in immediatly the other one is getting bloodied. I've broken up several fights that were getting a little out of hand and now the 2 orphans are hiding in the coop. What do I do???

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  6. hens number1

hens number1 New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    Wow I am sorry that is happening. I would go to your feed store and see if the have pick-no-more lotion. And put that on your bloody hen. If that does not work you may have to give away your 2 hens or keep them in a different coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by