Introducing new chickens.

Yolksetta

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2018
I have 3, 2 1/2 yr old hens. I recently got 3 more hens, that are about 3-4 months. They have been in coops side by side for 2 months. They have free ranged with minimal issues. I moved the little hens in after expanding the run size. However the little girls are being picked on. Not horrible, but they won’t fight back and now their not leaving the inside coop. It’s been 2 days. Any suggestions? No one is bleeding it’s more threatening and pulling a few feathers.

The younger chickens will probably continue to stay in the coop too. The only thing you can really do about is keep them together and just let the chickens peck them. If they draw blood or cannibalism starts, then keep them separated. Debeaking the older ones will be harder for the older ones to feather grab them. Google chicken eyeglasses or chicken specs. It prevents feather pecking and cannibalism.

What breeds are you dealing with?
When they were "side by side" were they visible to each other?
How many feeders/waterers do you have?
What is your coop/run size?

It could be just a pecking order pecks, something that they may :fl work out eventually. You could make some hide aways where the younger ones can get out of the older ones way in the run and out side when free ranging.

They could easily see each other the past few weeks. The coop/run combo is 4x8 and I added an 8x8 run when I moved them in. I don’t have anywhere for them to hide in the run. Maybe I try to add some. I only have food inside, with water both in and out. To top it off they can’t free range right now as I have a hawk stalking them daily.

Sounds like you have enough room, hopefully they'll adjust to each other and settle down. What breeds do you have? You can try leaning some plywood against the sides or put some boxes that the younger ones can "hide out" in the run. Keep an eye out for any blood/injuries, other than that it's an adjustment. :fl

For this reason I just "switch out" my girls every 1 - 1 1/2yrs, I'm only allowed 4 - 6 anyway :(

In my opinion you have two choices, make adjustments to your set up ( at least 2 feeding/water stations, 3 is better ), add hiding spots , or small doors to freedom .

Or put the babies back til they’re bigger , I like mine to be almost the same size , it seems to make a big difference in their attitudes...

Good luck

I have 3, 2 1/2 yr old hens. I recently got 3 more hens, that are about 3-4 months. They have been in coops side by side for 2 months. They have free ranged with minimal issues. I moved the little hens in after expanding the run size. However the little girls are being picked on. Not horrible, but they won’t fight back and now their not leaving the inside coop. It’s been 2 days. Any suggestions? No one is bleeding it’s more threatening and pulling a few feathers.
:frow :welcome

They could easily see each other the past few weeks. The coop/run combo is 4x8 and I added an 8x8 run when I moved them in. I don’t have anywhere for them to hide in the run. Maybe I try to add some. I only have food inside, with water both in and out. To top it off they can’t free range right now as I have a hawk stalking them daily.
Maybe just add a bench, chair, cardboard box or something and it also might help if you have more than 1 feeder and waterer. Mine tend to peck each other in the run but now I added more feeders in different areas and put some on a low table I made and that seemed to help.

Back
Top Bottom