1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing new chicks-3 weeks and 5 weeks-help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by secretinternets, Jul 12, 2011.

1. secretinternets

secretinternets New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    I have three 3-week old chicks (black silkie, buff silkie,and plymouth rock) and just got a 5-week chick (rhode island red) to replace an Ameraucana chick that recently passed away. My husband and I tried to introduce the 5-week old chick to the current flock, but she kept trying to peck the younger birds' feet. We realize that this may be just what happens, but we're worried that the 5-week chick will hurt the others because she's so much bigger. Is this normal? Does anyone have advice to how we can introduce them?

We currently have the 5-week chick in a separate box but I can tell she'd like to be with the others!

Thanks!

2. Indianfeathers

Indianfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I have read that you should let them see each other during the day through a see through barrier and then at night when they are asleep put the other chick in with the rest of them. In the morning they all should be fine there will be some pecking, to re-establish the pecking order.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

keep them with in eye sight of each other for a few days...I put my newbies in a cage and put them in the older chickens run, with food and water and shade. then put them together after that, they will still be put in the pecking order but no fighting. [​IMG]

4. secretinternets

secretinternets New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Thanks for the recommendations. We've grabbed some wire so we will put them all together tomorrow but separated and see how they do. [​IMG]

5. secretinternets

secretinternets New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Everyone is already getting settled. Thanks!

[​IMG]

6. natron96

natron96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    clarkston washington
    sneek in at night with no lite and put them on the roost with the others thats what i did with my young ones and i didnt have a problem at all good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by