Introducing New Chicks - Question About Age

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pdxblossom, Jul 28, 2010.

1. pdxblossom

pdxblossom In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    We have two pullets and one cockerel. The cockerel is going to be re-homed and I want to get three more pullets. The pullets I have were purchased on 06/26. The farm store said they arrived on 06/23 and were between 3 - 10 days old. So my pullets are between 5 - 6 weeks old.

I want to purchase 3 new pullets next weekend (when our coop is finished) and introduce them to the flock. I want to get pullets the same age, but becase of the 3 - 10 day spread, I don't know what age that is exactly.

So . . . when I go to pick out pullets and possibly have to go a little younger or older, what would be best?

The two pullets they are joining are Light Brahmas that are attached at the hip. Very sweet. No pecking. I want to keep it that way.

Thanks!

2. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Songster

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    Are you getting the same kind of pullets? If so, I would just try to match the size of the new to the old as much as possible. Then nobody will have a bullying advantage. [​IMG]

3. pdxblossom

pdxblossom In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't know.

I love the girls I have now, but would like to get another Black Australorp. I'm also loving the idea of Barred Rock and Buff Orpington. It depends, too, on what is available in the same age range. The birds I am interested in are all similar in size/temperment. I was hoping that makes the difference.

The BA we have to re-home is my favorite so it makes me sad. He has so much personality and at only 4 - 5 weeks is such a little rooster. He charged my husband yesterday when he picked up one of the pullets to a patch of dirt that was just weeded. Whenever we want to get them inside at night, we just pick up a pullet and he follows right in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by