Introducing new chicks to adults?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nznelson, Dec 24, 2010.

1. nznelson

nznelson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    We just acquired six 8 week old bantams. Right now they are in a pen by themselves but we would like to put them in with the others we have. We have 3 hens and 1 rooster, fully grown and quite big breeds (Orpington and CobbX). Is there a certain age that they should be introduced to each other? All the birds are free ranged during the day and penned up at night. I would like to let them out during the day now but so worried they will get picked on or pecked on lol. Any advice?

2. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    they will have to establish a new pecking order which could be very stressful in not dangerous to the new chicks. First and foremost by sure to observe the 30 quarantine...no sense the new ones possibly infecting the established flock. when it is time I would only free range them together if I had the time to sit and observe them. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I wouldn't introduce the chicks until they are at least the same size as the adults. That way, if the older birds decide to pick on them, the younger birds at least have a fighting chance. Also, I would put the new birds(after quarantine) in pens side by side with the older birds for a couple of weeks so they can get used to seeing each other before actually being turned loose together. Cuts down on fighting and injuries.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  4. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    well said

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    One of the guidelines is waiting til the young ones are the same size as the current flock, but that isn't going to happen. You may very well find that the bantams will never be accepted.

After quarantine, I would fix some housing so they are right next to each other, separated by a fence, for at least a couple of weeks, preferably a month.

Good luck.

A good article on adding new chickens:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by