introducing new chicks to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by youthpastor, Apr 21, 2008.

1. youthpastor

youthpastor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I know that its been talked about already, but I'm going to bring it up again. I put my older set of chicks into the coop last week, and the younger set yesterday. They were all in the same brooder up til then and did fine together. But today I went in the coop and the younger set are all crowded into one corner. The coop is heated to 70 and I have a lamp under which it's 90. I noticed the older ones pecking them any time they came out of that corner. I'm worried that they wont be able to get to the water or food, so I took some chicken wire and trapped all the older ones in that corner so now the younger ones have free range of the coop. I figure maybe I'll leave it like that for a bit to teach the older ones a lesson.[​IMG] What should I do?

2. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    I dont have any advice for you since I have the same problem . Will keep checking to see what some of the more seasoned chickaneers say : )

I mentioned in another thread that we have seperated the young girls from the older girls and that they can all see eachother.

My older girls, especially the head hen, put up such a ruckus that I am afraid I will never be able to integrate them without damage!

3. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Just leave it like that for a week then try again. How many do you have @ each age?

4. youthpastor

youthpastor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    ok, i've seperated them with chicken wire and given each group their own food and water. i'll leave them like that for a few days and see what happens. i've actually left a small opening for the smaller ones to go back and forth if they want to.

5. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

My half grown chickens I introduced one at a time to the flock. I let the chickens bully the younger one to the extent of one or two pecks or jumping at the younger one. I remove the younger bird if they aggressively chase it then add another in a couple of days. Hope you figure out what works for you.

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    you must keep the new chicks seperate and in thier own little cage inside the coop. they must have their own water and food for about a week. This is to let the older birds get to know and familiarize with the new birds. It takes about 1 to 2 weeks for this to happen then you can open the door of the small pin and let the smaller chicks go out when they feel safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by