Introducing new chicks to other chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JackieK318, May 28, 2007.

1. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I am getting two two week old chicks from a breeder (Blue Andalusion and Cuckoo Maran), three guineas and other two week old chicks from the feed mill tomorrow. Any suggestions or cautions I should heed before I introduce them? I am getting them tomorrow morning then going directly to work, so I won't have a lot of time to observe them.

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    If they are all two weeks old, there shouldn't be much problem with putting them all together. They start establishing their pecking order at an early age so just watch and make sure no one is doing any excess pecking.

I realize you got them this morning. How are they doing ?

3. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    They're all doing so well. I was worried, but I watched them for 30 min before I left for work. They're actually doing really well with me too. I'm making them a treat. The RIR, BR, Cuckoo, and Blue Andalusion are all 2 weeks old. The Silver Wyandotte and my 3 guineas are brand new (I think - dunno how big guineas are to begin with!). The guineas are about as big as my 2-3 day old Wyandotte. My brooder is 6.5 feet by 3.5 feet and the little Wyandotte was running around all of it! She's a nut already! They're eating a ton, too! I've seen a few of them drinking, so I am hoping they all are...

I'm definitely going to take pics tonight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by