Introducing new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hippy_Joe, May 11, 2009.

1. Hippy_Joe

Hippy_Joe New Egg

May 11, 2009
    I have 4 hens 4months old. (One Americana, two Rhode Island Reds, and one New Hamphire Red) I now have four chicks that are ready to go in the coop. During the chicks daily playtime outside the older chickens herd around and start picking on the chicks. I don't know if this is a problem or just the way they say Hi. I would hate to put them in the coop for thier first night and something bad happens (you know what I mean). All I was trying to do was add to my flock. Any help would be great! Thanks

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    How old are your chicks? Are they comparable in size to the older ones? Are they ready for the same feed? Those are the questions you'll want to consider before introducing them to each other.

When introducing 2 flocks, it is often recommended to put them in pens side by side, separated by wire, so they can see each other but no one can get hurt. This gives them time to adjust to the others before a formal introduction.

3. Hippy_Joe

Hippy_Joe New Egg

May 11, 2009
    My chicks are 6 weeks and the older chickens are 4 months. The older chickens are almost full grown. There is a big difference in size! I still have everybody on starter feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by