Introducing new chicks??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Doormantnt, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I have an established mixed flock of 6 hens all year and half old now, and the addiction is kicking in pretty good. I'm considering getting 4-6 more day-olds in the spring. I'm not looking forward to the "brooding" again, but will set them up in the garage this time. NOT the house again. LOL. I have the coop and run space so that is not an issue, but they will have to be with the "older ladies" eventually. I can build a temporary smaller coop, but they will have to become one flock (for space).

So my question, how do I let them mingle, and at what ages, to become all one flock.

I just have visions of the older six.......haveing issues with the younger ones. I know the little ones will have to feather out, and start to establish their own pecking order, but how do I not let the big girls kill them.....or am I over thinking this process.

Thanks for the replies and insight.

TNT

2. blue creek chicken man

blue creek chicken man Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    Billings
    I try to put mine in the coop when the are close to the same size. Put the in at night when it is dark and do not provide any light for them. They seem to have less stress this way but you will still see the fighting the next or so. Just monitor them and watch for any birds that might have been injured and remove them.

3. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Thanks for the reply.

Anything I should really watch for??

Any ideas on keeping food seperate?? I know I will have to introduce while the chicks are still on starter. I feed Layena Pellets now to the older ones. Any possible issues?

TNT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by