Introducing new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tamma, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Tamma

Tamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    I have 3 RSL chickens who are about a year old. I am bringing in a polish, an EE and a SLW. My question is about introducing them to the 3 hens I have. I have read to bring them in the coop at night and place them next to the hens. My hens sleep on the highest roost about 4 1/2 feet off the ground. How old should my chicks be to be placed up that high in the coop? I want them to be able to get up and down ok. Thanks!!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    How old are the newbies? It's better to introduce new chicks when they are more or less the same size as the rest of your flock. Also it would be a good idea to keep them away from your flock for the few weeks to make sure they don't carry any diseases or pests. Chicks can fly pretty well from a young age, but your older chickens will probably prefer it if they were sleeping on a lower perch than them. Pecking order.

3. Tamma

Tamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    I will be raising the babies in the house for about 8 weeks. I have been reading about letting them see each other without being able to co-mingle. So I will start bringing them out in a fenced area of their own every day after they feather out. That way they can get used to seeing each other. I will still bring them back in the house to sleep. Then I was going to let them free range with the older birds (supervised of course) for a couple of weeks. I guess I'm really concerned about putting them in with the older birds at night and not being around to break it up if things get bloody. I have a high roost and a low roost, 4 1/2 feet and 2 feet up. The older birds sleep on the top roost. Do you put them on the roost next to the older chickens or just put them on the lower roost? I am so excited! I LOVE my RSL and can't wait to have a few more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by