introducing new color questions

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
my question is how do you know what color you can get into silkies? i never would have thought that barred would work so would say red laced white work and what would it look like or millie fleur? what makes the difference?

would you use a black bird as your starting point ? and does the quality of the bird your using to introduce the color matter? meaning could i use any hatchery chick of my chosen color or would it need to be a show worthy bird and why?

how do you get a new color recognized by the breed register?

how long would it take to get the color fixed?

one thing i do (while it may not be the best way) is just mix colors of the same breed, especially sports or colors that are "incorrect" maybe a barred and a red may get you somewhere...just a guess
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
:

Ninny,

I need to know what you are talking about. What variety of chicken do you want to produce?

Tim

Last edited:
Ninny,
Since no one responded I'll try and give it a whirl but I'm new so it could all be wrong...haha.

I think you can get any color you want into silkies, it just depends on how well you will see it with the silkie feathering. Laced will just be fuzzy swirl of the colors. The milli fleur might work. I know right now I am working on mottled silkies but I'm only one generation in so, no mottles yet.

For the bird introducing the color it can be anything. Barred and Buff were both introduced with cochins and look how good some of them look now. But on the silkie side it pays to use the best you can get. Mainly because a show quality bird is from show quality lines (usually) and thus has had all the good genes (5 toes, mulberry comb, feather legs, crest, black skin) compared to a hatchery bird where it is hit or miss.

I have no clue how to get it recognized with the breed club. I do know the aba and apa have to have a minimum number of breeders for 3 (?) years and then they have to have 100 (?) birds from at least 5 (?) breeders at a show. Plus they must have an acceptable standard and the color must breed true. I'm not 100% on the numbers.

It would probably take at least three because you would be using a hard feathered bird so the first generation is all hard feathered and so the first chance of silkie feathered birds with the color you want would be in the f2. Then you would need a few to solidify the color and silkie type.

Hope that helps!

tim - im talking about silkies.

blackclownfish16- i would love to hear all about you mottled project maybe next spring i could get some eggs from you and start my own project.

chickNjake-thats a neat idea

im guessing that all soilds will work but lacing would not be worth the effort. any good books on this?

could you get a red barred? instead of white and black it would be white and red?

tim- should i get a good flock of blacks/buffs to start my color project with?

Quote:
i think he was asking what color of silkie you're trying to make, the answers will differ by color.

Quote:
Solids would be better, any sort of patterning gets blurry on a silkie. the more complex the pattern, like lacing, the blurrier it will be

Quote:
you'd need to find a good true breeding line of red silkies first. from what i've seen most look either like gingers or dark buffs.

I've never tried for a red barred
smile.png
but it might could be done
idunno.gif
i suppose you could try it and breed the best together and see what you get
hu.gif
but don't take my word and go buy an entire flock of red and barred Silkies
lol.png
i'm relatively new to Silkies! but i bet there's someone who's tried it
big_smile.png

Ninny,

I need to know exactly what variety of bird you want to produce.

Are you wanting to produce a red bird with white barring?

Tim

Ninny yeah I'll keep you in mind. Right now I have 7 3 month F1's between my bantam mottled houdans and black silkies. Not surprisingly not one is mottled. They all have 5 toes, beautiful crests, beard and muffs. The skin and comb color is reddish but not as bad as my cuckoos were when I first got them. Also tadkerson I would be very interested in how to make a red with white barred bird. Could you use white laced cornish x cuckoo silkie maybe or? Just a random thought, of course there would be lots of culls. Anyway I agree with vcomb it's extremely hard to get nice red silkies.

Back
Top Bottom