1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introducing new ducklings..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dandar, Mar 7, 2015.

1. dandar

dandar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    central nebraska
    I have 2 swedish pair..I am planning to order one or 2 more pairs this spring when whether permits lol...I am wondering what is the easist way introduce them to one another..my swedish are only about a year old and the only pair of ducks I have with some chickens (all get along great) also wondering about adding a gosling pair I want to do this as little stress as possible.
    I free range them all day, and house them in a pen with chickens at night (for now until weather settles down )
    As I said I have not ordered yet and I know it will be awhile before they are ready to be introduced to one another ...just trying to think ahead.
    [​IMG] I do have an isolation pen, that I am planning on putting them in when they are old enough and weather warm enough, it is visible to the swedish on 2 sides..
    thanks...

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I've read some good literature on introducing new ducklings into the flock, but reading's no substitute for experience. I myself am worried about introducing a duckling to Wobbles, since he's all alone and was raised indoors with other people. I'm paranoid that he'll never bond to the new duck!

3. dandar

dandar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    central nebraska
    boy i hear u...i went to a swap meet and they had an adult buff Khaki, ( supposed to be a male) i have in isolation pen right now and they can see each other..yesterday i let the buff one out to run with my pair of swedish and the male would not leave this poor duck alone, even if it was clear across the yard he would chase it down....well this went on for about an hour and i seperated them again...this morning....AN EGG IN THE BUFFS PEN ....guess i didn't get a male after all........but now don't know why the male swedish was literally attacking the buff...and r they ever gonna get along???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by