introducing new ducks into a small group

LizD1

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Waukesha, WI
Hi! I recently bought 2 more ducks to add to my group as my original 3 ducklings grew up to be 2 drakes and 1 duck. All 5 are close in age about 4 months. I'm surprised that the drakes are giving the new girls so much trouble. The drakes are chasing the new girls and biting their necks. Should I worry about this behavior? Is there a way to ease the transition? Thanks for your help!

So you have three ducks to two drakes? It may not be enough ducks for two drakes. You're girls risk being overbred.

As for introductions do you have a way to keep them separate for a while? Let them see eachother, but not touch.

So you have three ducks to two drakes? It may not be enough ducks for two drakes. You're girls risk being overbred.

As for introductions do you have a way to keep them separate for a while? Let them see eachother, but not touch.
Thanks for your quick reply. I don't know if I can manage any more ducks! My fully closed enclosure is only 4' x 5' with an attached 8'x5' hardware cloth screened run. The trio was a peaceful group until I introduced these 2 new girls. Now only the original girl gets along with all. The drakes put their heads down and charge the new girls then grab their necks and pull. At night I've been keeping the new ducks in the wood sided enclosure and putting a piece of wood in front of the door between the wood sided and screened enclosures. This will work as long as the weather stays relatively warm at night, but it's not a long term solution.
Do I need to rehome one of my drakes? They are such funny little characters. They come to me when I call and knock on my door when they want treats! I really love them, but I want to keep all of them safe.
I appreciate any advice!

What happens if you try to introduce one drake to the new girls? I was on other threads before because I currently have just a pair and wanted to expand eventually and the common ratio I saw was three ducks per drake when there is more than one drake. Not that people haven't been successful with less than three.

Your ducks are relatively young and I'm worried that when they fully mature and hit next spring that they will harm your girls. If that's the case and you can't add a few more females I would look into rehoming one of the drakes.

I'm curious about this myself but have a slightly different issue. We had 6 ducks. 4 hens, 2 drakes. Introduced 2 more hens and 1 more drake that are alightly older (7 months old to the original's 4 months). My original hens are going after the new drake (even really ganging up when all 4 attack at once). I'm also keeping them separated by closing new ones into the house(shed) at night (originals free range during daylight) and leaving originals in duck run. Then in morning I let originals out to free range and new ones get the whole pen. They seemed good yesterday. Originals all snugged up to the pen right next to the new ones. Everyone sleeping. So I thought "hey I'll let them be together outside and see how it goes". Watched them for an hour (didn't interfere. Just sat there to make sure no one really got hurt). They picked on the drake the whole time and chased him all over the yard, until I put newbies back in. No one hens, drakes or even goose notice the new girls. It's just the original hens ganging up on the new drake. Help!

I'm curious about this myself but have a slightly different issue. We had 6 ducks. 4 hens, 2 drakes. Introduced 2 more hens and 1 more drake that are alightly older (7 months old to the original's 4 months). My original hens are going after the new drake (even really ganging up when all 4 attack at once). I'm also keeping them separated by closing new ones into the house(shed) at night (originals free range during daylight) and leaving originals in duck run. Then in morning I let originals out to free range and new ones get the whole pen. They seemed good yesterday. Originals all snugged up to the pen right next to the new ones. Everyone sleeping. So I thought "hey I'll let them be together outside and see how it goes". Watched them for an hour (didn't interfere. Just sat there to make sure no one really got hurt). They picked on the drake the whole time and chased him all over the yard, until I put newbies back in. No one hens, drakes or even goose notice the new girls. It's just the original hens ganging up on the new drake. Help!
Hi! Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Hopefully you're already finding, like I did, that with a little time the ducks and drakes start to be more tolerant of each other. Early on I gave them space apart from each other. Only for a week. Every now and then one of the drakes chases one of the new girls away. But he quickly loses interest and moves on.

I hope your flock is getting along better now.

Ive come to the conclusion drakes love to chase haha drake chases my rooster all the time. No one ever gets hurt so it's fine, just funny to watch. But in my case I need it this way. I had a rooster who would pick on my ducks horribly. In winter he wouldn't let them in the coop so he went to the freezer and besides the chase here and there my roo and drake coexist fine. This roo leaves my duck in peace.

Thanks. Everyone seems to have settled down except the goose (gander? we don't know yet). I am letting them all free range during the day and they pretty much keep to themselves, except every time the new ducks get near the originals the goose has a (literal, LOL) hissy fit. At night, I am leaving the little door between the house and run open, but every time the new ducks try to leave the house...again, the goose. The drakes occasionally have a kerfuffle, but no big deals...just squabbling and then they leave each other alone. Its been like 3 weeks now...sigh...
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom