Introducing new ducks to older ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laurenluckyriri, Aug 5, 2016.

1. laurenluckyriri

laurenluckyriri Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    I have two 5 week old pekins and just got three 3 week old muscovy's and now they're fighting. I got the new ducks for the older ones because I didn't think having just 2 ducks was enough. Will the fighting die down? it mostly is just between one of my pekins and one of muscovy (I can't tell which are female/male yet) which gets the others going too. the little ones are in a tall card board box for now in the coop with the pekins and slept the night that way and as soon as I put them all in the coop together they went at it. what do I do? I don't want to have separate sections for the ducks considering I got them to all be together!

2. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    You may have to separate them temporarily. Make a divider they can see through. Give them some time to get to know each other through a fence, and make sure they have plenty of room when you do put them back together.

3. sallysinnamon

sallysinnamon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    south eastern
    Separating them with a divider is a good idea if they keep fighting. That way they get used to the idea of each other but can't touch each other. You can also wait and see what happens they are kind of trying to establish who is the dominant duck. Kind of establishing a pecking order. You might end up with two tiny flocks who sometimes intermingle but otherwise keep their distance .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by