Introducing New Female and Male Doves

Thagomized96

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2021
Hey all. To start I'm a bit of a newbie to raising birds of any kind but I'm excited to get into it. I got into it when about the better part of a year ago when I saved a young mourning dove off the side of the road that was hit by a car. To my surprise the dove lived, despite not being the best flyer and a permanent bump on the side of their head.

ANYWAYS... I had assumed the dove was female, being smaller and duller in color. A couple months ago I decided to get "her" a "boyfriend". I ordered a male mini ringneck dove from Stromberg's and they get along well enough but not as well as I had hoped. Well... spring is here and I just caught the mourning dove trying to mount the ringneck 🤦‍ and no eggs... so now I'm debating getting a larger enclosure and two females. Has anybody had a situation like this? I don't want the males to fight, but I also don't want to deprive them of having mates. Or do you think they'll be fine with just eachother for company? Sorry I blather a lot lmk if you need anymore details!

Hey all. To start I'm a bit of a newbie to raising birds of any kind but I'm excited to get into it. I got into it when about the better part of a year ago when I saved a young mourning dove off the side of the road that was hit by a car. To my surprise the dove lived, despite not being the best flyer and a permanent bump on the side of their head.

ANYWAYS... I had assumed the dove was female, being smaller and duller in color. A couple months ago I decided to get "her" a "boyfriend". I ordered a male mini ringneck dove from Stromberg's and they get along well enough but not as well as I had hoped. Well... spring is here and I just caught the mourning dove trying to mount the ringneck 🤦‍ and no eggs... so now I'm debating getting a larger enclosure and two females. Has anybody had a situation like this? I don't want the males to fight, but I also don't want to deprive them of having mates. Or do you think they'll be fine with just eachother for company? Sorry I blather a lot lmk if you need anymore details!
My son rescued a male mourning dove almost two years ago. I have tried to find a female but with no luck. If you ever consider getting rid of the female mouring dove and keeping just ringnecks I would be interested. We, my son and I, are bird newbies as well despite having had the male almost two years. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom