Introducing new hen at 6 weeks - little black terror!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JesseK, Apr 6, 2012.

1. JesseK

JesseK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    Hi guys! So my pretty little Pearl, black australorp, turned out to be a rooster :( She/he is now out on a farm where he can crow all he wants. The farmer traded me a female black australorp, Pearl 2. He and I had ordered all of our chicks day old from McMurray together, so they are the exact same age. My 3 other hens, buff orp, white wyandotte and partridge rock are all so gentle and quiet. Pearl 2 has been home for about an hour and is a maniac. She's jumping and perching on the side of the brooder box - 28" and clucking nonstop. She hasn't stood still since I put her in there. She's plucked the other hens feathers a bit.

Do you guys think she will calm down? I know she hasn't been in there long, but I really don't want her 'bad habits' to wear off on my girls!

2. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    She should settle down -- probably even by the morning.They will wake up tomorrow and act like they've been together thier whole life.

3. JesseK

JesseK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    Well of course you were right :) This morning she is being a very good little chicken. Thank you for the reply! It definitely helped calm me down

4. JiJis hens

JiJis hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    So glad everything worked out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by