Introducing new hen to flock stops her lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jem mama, May 3, 2017.

1. jem mama

jem mama Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Northern California
    I bought a less-than-a-year-old black copper maran a few weeks ago, and she was laying beautiful chocolate colored eggs for the first week until I stopped segregating her from my existing flock and put her in the same coop with them. They free-range in a large fenced in area all day, but since I integrated her in, I have not seen any eggs from her for 1.5 weeks! Is that normal behavior, possibly caused by integration stress?

She really has no problems getting along with the rest of the flock, so I find it odd. I've walked around the yard to see if she could have hidden it anywhere, but have not located any of her eggs. Has anyone had experience with this happening before?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Stress will halt laying. Being moved to a new home and flock is very stressful to a chicken.

3. jem mama

jem mama Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Northern California
    When do they usually start up again then? She came together with a little Polish, so she's not totally alone, and she definitely can defend herself against all my other chickens...overall, I'm quite pleased with how they're all getting on.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Generally it can take 1-3 weeks to resume, depending on how quickly they adjust, but some can take longer.

5. sheetmetaltom

sheetmetaltom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    make sure shes not layng eggs somewhere besides the nestbox.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can she get back to the nest she was using during her segregation...
    ...or is she having to share the other birds nests??

Agrees with smt, she may be laying in range area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by