1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing new hens to flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenman957, Aug 4, 2011.

1. chickenman957

chickenman957 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I have 2 RIR, 1 Silkie, 1 Golden Polish, 1 Silver Wyandott, 1 EE. (18 weeks yesterday) A friend of mine is giving me 2 Wyandotts tomorrow. They were all born the same time. My ? is how do i introduce them without harm? No free range. 4 X 8 coop house with 16 X 8 run.
    Thanks

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Even if I receive them from a friend, I still go be a 30-day quarantine rule. I just don't want to take the chance and introduce any sickness that might be hiding in the new birds. When I actually add the new girls to the flock I do it just before roosting time. I lock the new girls in the coop, while my girls are locked out. Once the new girls are settled in for the night, I open the coop and let in the existing members. Since it's roosting time they usually just settle right in. The next morning I'm sure to open the coop early enough, and I monitor for any problems. Has worked many times. Best wishes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. Moonkssd

Moonkssd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2011
    Marietta, Pa
    I do a covert op in the middle of the night and it has worked well for me and its fun too thinking I have pulled something over on my girls lol I know Im silly

4. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Quote:I'm going to have to try your method. I've tried letting my existing flock get setted in for the night and then bringing in new members and it didn't work so well. Everything seemed peaceful at night but then the next morning when I got up early to let them out it was pandemonium!! My next thought is to get a rather large wire dog crate/cage and place it in my run so that they can see each other and get used to one another and then release the newbies. If anyone has a method that works for them time and again I would love to hear it as I'm planning on replacing my "thought-to-be" roos with pullets.

5. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I'm going to have to try your method. I've tried letting my existing flock get setted in for the night and then bringing in new members and it didn't work so well. Everything seemed peaceful at night but then the next morning when I got up early to let them out it was pandemonium!! My next thought is to get a rather large wire dog crate/cage and place it in my run so that they can see each other and get used to one another and then release the newbies. If anyone has a method that works for them time and again I would love to hear it as I'm planning on replacing my "thought-to-be" roos with pullets.

i lost a chick cause we just plopped them in there and my RIRs where being nice to my EEs at first but one attacked. LOL DONT JUST THROW THEM IN THEIR! put them in at bed and check on them alot! good luck [​IMG]

6. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Awww...sorry to hear about that [​IMG]

I borrowed a large wire dog crate from a friend and am going to try putting them in that for a week or so and then we will see how it goes. I definitely don't want to lose anyone OR have any of them get injured.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by