Introducing new hens to the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by henipeni, Jul 2, 2010.

1. henipeni

henipeni Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Hello: I'm a newcomer at this chicken/ egg adventure. My husband and I agreed to starting this journey back about 2 years ago and finally purchased 6 red production chicks (1 day old) on March 27 this year. Dana built a brood box and we kept it in the office here at home. Then about 2 months when the weather warmed up he built an A frame 8' run while starting on the coop. We had a cement floor poured and built a lovely hen house where the girls are now living. We put up a 6 ' fence all the way around the place with a netting cover that keeps preditors and sun rays out.

Now what happens next was not in the plan. I went to my country store to pick up some feed and the lady talked me into taking 5 more chicks, Americana's. Well that was a step back in time I find out and the red hens are pretty puffed out over the newcomers. So the question now is how do I get these little maybe 6-8 week old girls into the flock? I have them in the A frame in the garage for the time being. They were pretty scared when I brought them home and a couple were pecked up pretty bad so we got thru that and they look better now. So there's the stage I am on, what would you suggest? Thanks for listening to me go on and on.

Hey, for where I am in the big picture I think we have come a long way since March 27. Oh, and a hawk came down and sat on the A frame when the big girls were about 6 weeks old. So we know what we are up against with preditors. We live on 1/2 acre about 10 miles away from OKC. Any help you can give me is much appreciated. Vicki

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Hiya! I have a small column in which I write about various chicken stuff that might be of help to you- the link is in my signature. I recently wrote an article about integrating new birds into the flock- that may help you. I'll help if you have more questions!

3. rocketdoctor

rocketdoctor Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Quote:chooksChick, Can you give us the exact link to the article you talk about introducing new chickens to an existing flock I am interested as well. but couldn't find it on your blog and it doesn't have a good index to find any previous posts (you might want to take an add or two off and add a way to show previous post subjects).

4. henipeni

henipeni Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Hi to you, thanks for replying to my message about introducing new chix to the flock. I tried to find your article on 3 of your links and didn't find the piece. I'm still up and trying to find out about this. Hope you are too. Thanks, Vicki

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
  6. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Congrats on pouring a concrete floor!
    Very wise.
    Not many newcomers have the foresight to do that.

spot

7. Firebomb_k

Firebomb_k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    Spencer, WI
    Pooring a concrete floor is nice and all......but in some areas the tax man looks at that as a permenant building which means you get taxes for it,,,,, as apposed to a moveable building.

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Your older girls are still quite young. It should be quite easy to integrate two groups of such close ages. Let them get used to each other through a wire fence first. Then let them at it, and they'll work it all out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by