Introducing new hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sweet_peeps, Jan 5, 2009.

1. sweet_peeps

sweet_peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hello all,
    I've been gone for quite a few months but still enjoying my girls.
    In fact:
    I have (7)- 9 month old Barred Rock hens and I just got (2)- 4 1/2-5 month old Buff Orpington hens last Thurs.

I had kept the new hens in a large dog crate in the hen house until yesterday when I let all the girls out in the yard together.
    Only once did I see my largest Barred Rock peck once at one and that was because the stupid teenage hen ran at her.

I put them back in the crate last night.

Today, a couple of the older hens are dust bathing with the new ones which is so sweet.

Should I keep putting them in the crate at night or do you think 4 days is long enough to let the new ones mingle with the older girls on the roost?

2. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Thats long enough,once they are together they have to establish the pecking order or top hen once thats done they will get along just fine

3. sweet_peeps

sweet_peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank-You!
    I'll be glad to get that dog crate out of there and just let them all together.

I'm so happy they all seem to get along so well.
    Maybe that's from having 2 docile breeds.

On second thought, maybe i'll keep the crate in there 1 more night with the door open and see who goes where.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by