Introducing New Hens

ChickieMama1988

Chirping
Jun 26, 2021
We have 3 month olds. 2 hens and a rooster and we are looking to introduce more hens to the flock. At what age is it best to introduce new hens? The hens we get will probably be at least a year old. Should we wait until ours are older and laying before introducing anymore? Thank-you.

I had to put down a 4 month old hen the other day that I hatched out. She and her siblings are getting adjusted to the big old ladies and a big old lady I guess grabbed chick by the wing to establish pecking order I imagine, and instead of taking a few pecks she must of pulled hard to get away and dislocated her shoulder. I came home and found her in the corner of the yard not feeling well and discovered it. So sad, she was so pretty. I hate this part of raising chickens.

I had to put down a 4 month old hen the other day that I hatched out. She and her siblings are getting adjusted to the big old ladies and a big old lady I guess grabbed chick by the wing to establish pecking order I imagine, and instead of taking a few pecks she must of pulled hard to get away and dislocated her shoulder. I came home and found her in the corner of the yard not feeling well and discovered it. So sad, she was so pretty. I hate this part of raising chickens.
Oh no! Yes that’s what I’m afraid of. We raised these little guys from chicks so I am so protective of them. We’ll take it slow. I think I might wait until they are at least 6 months

Oh no! Yes that’s what I’m afraid of. We raised these little guys from chicks so I am so protective of them. We’ll take it slow. I think I might wait until they are at least 6 months
I wouldn't wait that long, may be too much fighting if chicks are that old. This is the first time it has happened to me and I've been raising chickens for 11 years. 3-4 months old is the age I always introduce them. They will be bullied but that's the pecking order being established. If you wait until they're 6 months old, they may fight back and have more injuries. Just my thoughts.

If you're planning to get adult hens, AND you have ample space to allow for integration in both coop and run, then probably anytime should be fine, as yours are already most of the way there.

Depending on where you're sourcing the hens from, a bigger consideration for me would be if you're going to do a medical quarantine of not, as you'll need to set that up in advance.

Back
Top Bottom