Introducing new hens

cook_kaka_ook

Songster
13 Years
Oct 29, 2009
A friend of mine gave two 20-week old ISA hens. How long will it take for them to assimilate with my 21-week old flock. They've been isolated for the first week to make sure they were free from any kind of disease. Is it safe to put them together with the flock now or should I wait another week?

I keep them isolated for 30 days in a dog cage within the coop, so they can see but not really interact. When they free range, I let them go out , but 30 days always worked

I gave my new 3 a week in the dog pen (they slept nights with the older chickens) and an extra week for the incredible timid Delaware, and that was all they needed. (I knew they were healthy because I got them from hcammack
smile.png
)

If I have more than one hen to add to the flock, I just throw any new hens I get in with the others that are already there. There is a lot of pecking and commotion for a few days, but after that, it settles down into one big happy family again. I be sure the new hens have some place to go to get away if they want. I had one just stay up on the roost for a couple days. Came down to eat and drink and went right back up there. My hens don't free range, but live in a pen that's about two times larger than 20 chickens need so there is plenty of room. I've done 4 new introductions this way and haven't had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom