Introducing New Ladies after likely Marek's Outbreak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mtaylor, Feb 25, 2017.

1. mtaylor

mtaylor New Egg

Feb 25, 2017
    Hi all! Need help with how to safely introduce new ladies to my backyard 'flock' (of 1) :(
    We had three 3 pullets (Cochin, Easter Egger, and Orpington) that we brought home. They were good for a couple/few months. We now have only the Orpington left. Cochin went first....then Easter Egger a couple months later. I won't go into the details, but am nearly certain it was Marek's disease. It's been another few months and the Orpington is doing just fine. Looking in to getting a few more pullets (vaccinated) to keep our lady company and looking for suggestions on how best to clean up the chicken yard, etc... in hopes of preventing another outbreak
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Signing on to see what others say.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Rebascora is a good person to deal with on Mareks. She explains things very well, and has dealt with Mareks in her flock for awhile. There are also a few good threads to follow if you go up to the search box at the top of this page, where people discuss what they have done and what happened. "Moving forward, breeding for resistance" is very good. Be sure that your new pullets will have been vaccinated and kept away from your place for at least 3 weeks to develop full immunity. Your remaining hen will be a carrier, and your environment will be infected for many years to come. All chickens will have the disease, but hopefully not get the tumors and paralysis common with the disease. The only way to tell for sure whether your chickens had Mareks is with a necropsy where they examine feathers and tumors. If you should lose your remaining pullet, I would get a necropsy by your state vet. Welcome to BYC, by the way. Here are some threads to read:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/894589/moving-forward-breeding-for-resistance-to-mareks-disease
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. mtaylor

mtaylor New Egg

Feb 25, 2017
    Thanks so much for your response and input! Much appreciated...have read up on a few of the threads on Marek's posted here...will continue to comb through. Just curious if there was anything I could do as far as cleaning the environment where they're living that might help lesson the risk. Thanks again!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I hope Rebascora sees your thread. The Mareks virus is spread by direct contact, but also in the dust and feather dander--so pretty much impossible to completely clean away. It lasts according to some links for as much as 7 years in the environment, although some say less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by