introducing new mallard duck to flock, help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sgt_dane, Aug 13, 2010.

1. sgt_dane

sgt_dane Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    I just got a new adult mallard, i added her to the pen with my trio and they immediately all jumped on her, i think it was a little much for her to have three ducks on her at the same time.. i now have my trio in a cage and her running around the cage, within the flight.. any thoughts? How long should i keep them seperate or should i just let them ruf it out?

2. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    What sex are the trio 2 f 1 m? if yes I would just keep them seperate, but let them see each other for a few days then introduce them, good luck

3. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    If you have 1 or no males, I would say the same. Separate them so they only have chicken wire or rat wire(hardware cloth to some) between them for 2 or 3 days and then they should be fine with minimal scrapping. If both your other 2 are drakes, then I would suggest getting more ducks(females).

4. stoo

stoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I would keep the new duck in a wire cage seperate, but where the others can come up and meet her and get used to her. I would do this for a couple days or until the others loose interest, then let her out with them. Make sure you put her in a safe place at night - in the duck house or in your house if you think predators can reach in the cage.

5. sgt_dane

May 16, 2010
    Yeah i have two hens and one drake, im thinking the new one is a drake. I have to finish my other pen and divide it down the middle i guess.. anybody know where i can get more hens? Just looking for the flying wild type mallard.. All i have are adults or close to it. The new one is an adult, my other three are about 10 weeks old and well, attacked it.. So just a couple days would work?? I have some bird netting i can divide the flight with..

6. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    They are young enough that the above described routine could still work. But I would get more ducks if you have 2 drakes before they get another month or two.

7. sgt_dane

May 16, 2010
    yeah thats what im thinking.. theyre separated right now, the new drake doesnt like it one bit.. hes all alone and the other three are all palling around together.. im looking for more hens right now, i know where i can get babies but im wanting them to be slightly older... lol..

8. sgt_dane

May 16, 2010
    They are all in the same pen, they wont attack him unless he gets too close to them or in the pond at the same time for some reason.. seems my oldest hen, farfig, has taken a liking to him so they pal around together a bit.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by