Introducing new muscovies to a flock?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DancingHen, Dec 5, 2011.

1. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I have two muscovy hens that I use for slug patrol in my gardens. They do a great job in about half the garden, but the other half of the garden has been neglected by them. Living in the Pacific Northwest we have a huge abundance of slugs, so I am assuming that they are finding all the food they want without having to range deeper into the garden. So I am thinking about adding two more muscovy hens to the garden in the spring to see if they cover more ground that way. I know that introducing new hens to an existing chicken flock can be a pain, but I have never tried to introduce any new ducks to my girls. Can any more experienced muscovy/duck owners share their experience with me regarding introducing muscovy hens to one another? I would be wanting to add 2 more hens that are already old enough to be sure of gender and to free range the gardens. My ducks current housing situation is a 40 square foot wood duck house they sleep in at night, and access to forage in a half acre fenced garden all day. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    You shouldnt have any issues with adding new hens. They may go through a brief pecking order run but I cant see any other issues [​IMG]

3. DancingHen

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Thanks. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just introduced 3 new muscovy hens to my flock in September and everything worked out great, the younger girls respect the older ones.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:X2

6. DancingHen

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Thank you all. I am decided now that I will add two new hens to the garden this spring. I just love my muscovies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by