Introducing New Muscovy's to Flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ewhitney1987, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ewhitney1987

ewhitney1987 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    I have a question. In August I got a male and 2 females to start my flock. They got along perfectly then a few weeks ago we lost a female to a predator. We decided to add 2 more females to the group. The new females are under 3 months old. However, our existing female is really bullying them and not allowing them to eat. The male doesn't seem to care much for them and just ignores them. Our ducks are all free range so its hard to separate them. Will she reject the two new females forever or will she slowly adjust to them?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sorry for your loss. I have a huge free range scovie flock, i don't even know the figure anymore, that said i know very well who hangs out with who... they are very territorial in my experience, also older's tend to pick on youngers even if they are raised within the flock, your going to have to make sure the younger's are getting their share of food...

I do get the range issue, as i said mine are the same, the only newbies here anymore are babies but that doesn't mean i don't have conflicts among st the ages and or sexes.

In time most to get past the basic issues, but i do have flocks within flocks and even pairs. The dynamics when they are left to sort themselves is definitely interesting to watch, but i do have to make sure those lower on the 'pecking order' get their share and are not bullied to the point of injury. As younger ones grow they do tend to hold their own better though.

You could always try adding more lol. I find the larger flock tends to be less ruffled oddly enough than my original few(started with a mere 4, many years ago)

3. ewhitney1987

ewhitney1987 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Thank You for the info!! We have 5 eggs in the incubator from our current female so hopefully when they hatch the numbers will even out. Any tips on how to ensure the younger ones get enough food. I've tried sprinkling it about but not sure how much they are eating. She also seems to be more of a bully when I'm around so hard to tell if they get to eat when I leave.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by