Introducing new pullet that was raised alone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BlazeJester, Nov 4, 2011.

1. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I found a lady on CraigsList who seems to be breeding her barred rocks. I'm thinking of taking a lone 4-mo pullet off her hands since I've been looking for BRs and the pullet is the same age as my flock.

It sounds like this pullet has been raised alone - the lady said she wasn't sure how it would react to other chickens. I'm not sure why she did this considering that she has a breeding flock and several other batches of chicks, but I'm now trying to decide whether it would be worth it to get this little girl.

Any ideas or experience with nearly-grown birds raised all by themselves?

Thanks!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That is strange that she raised her alone, I have no experience with this. I wonder what others might say.

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    scratch'n'peck :

That is strange that she raised her alone, I have no experience with this. I wonder what others might say.

I also find this strange.
    I would be suspicious about it having some kind of medical issue which is why its not with the rest of her flock.​

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Maybe she was raised alone because there was no other chickens her age? I had a lone pullet and I introduced her to some freinds and they are best freinds. But her new buddies are younger than her. I say get her...she's probably lonely. Maybe check with the seller to see if she's healthy first.

5. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    If you can, maybe check the hen out for yourself?
    Then you can check her over for illnesses and maybe you will find out why shes separated?
    Like someone else said, it could be because of age differences...but you never know.
    Just be cautious.

6. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Quote:x2

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    The lady is also selling 3-4wk chicks, so it sounds like she just lets her hen hatch eggs whenever. She said there was a bad hatch and this pullet ended up the only chick to hatch. I'll go get her if the lady is willing to sell; she said something about "not knowing how she'll get along with other chickens". I found it odd that she didn't introduce the pullet to the newer chicks...

I'll be reducing my flock at Thanksgiving when I dole out chicks I've raised for others, so I figured now is a good time to get her, quarantine her, and have her ready for introductions when the pecking order is going to go haywire anyway. I'll be sure to worm her, dust her and give antibiotics if needed.

8. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Quote:Good Luck!

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That pullet is likely to always be a "loner." So sad that the lady didn't make sure she had a friend. Not that her being a loner is going to make her unusable or anything, it's just sad for the chicken. I agree with the above though. Check her out good first. I personally doubt it was raised alone because something was wrong with it but you never know.

10. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    It sounds like she'll have a second chance with you! I would go for it if the lady you are talking to is willing to sell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by