Introducing New Pullets: Set Up

ZANEYchickenguy

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
I have 5 Rhode Island Red's that are 14 weeks old. I need help planning a setup to introduce my 3 Easter Eggers (4 weeks old) to them. I know this might be too early, but I want to start planning now before I stress doing it all at once.

The Plan:
My run is 120 square feet, so I'm thinking of making a 40 square foot enclosure for the new Easter Eggers. The problem is I don't know where they are going to roost in the 40 enclosure. Do I have to make them another "coop"? What do you guys think?

Also, tell me if this is a good or bad idea if I should keep my new Easter Eggers in their enclosure until they are 17 weeks. That way they will hopefully be the same size when they leave the enclosure, they can all eat layer feed instead of all flock feed.

Hopefully wasn't too much...Any thoughts??

This is what I do, I train my chicks to sleep in a dog crate, I have a wooly hen in there, which just an insulated top a couple of inches off the bedding, than when they crawl in there, they are kept warm like a broody hen. I turn OFF the heat lamp at night so it gets dark, and after a few times of putting them there, they find it them selves.

Then I put the dog crate in the safety zone in the run. At night, I pick it up and put it in the coop. In the morning, I move it out to the safety zone. After a couple of days, I lift the bottom edge of the safety zone up off the floor about 4 inches. This lets the chicks sneak out and sneak back into safety on their terms.

Then when they are getting along well with the girls during the daytime - at less than a week, I leave the dog crate open in the coop. When it gets light, they will head to the run and later I move the dog crate out there. 1-2 more days. Then I just leave the dog crate in the coop. I check and make sure they made it there, but they always have been there.

Then a week or so later, I remove the dog crate. Mine are generally are roosting with the big girls pretty early.

However, I have a large space, I have lots of clutter, numerous hideouts, multiple feed stations. Do not be surprised if they are two distinct groups for some time, not until all of them are laying will they become one flock.

Good luck,

Mrs K

My run is 120 square feet
That's not that large for integration so be patient, don't try to make them share space in the hopes they'll learn to get along. Let them go at their pace as much as you can.

The problem is I don't know where they are going to roost in the 40 enclosure. Do I have to make them another "coop"?

My brooder raised chicks usually don't start roosting until they are 10 to 12 weeks old. Until they roost my chicks sleep on the floor, whether in the brooder or in the coop. It doesn't hurt them to sleep on the floor. They don't have to roost.

What they need is predator protection and protection form weather. If you wish you can put something in that shelter for them to perch or roost on. It won't hurt but you don't have to.

Also, tell me if this is a good or bad idea if I should keep my new Easter Eggers in their enclosure until they are 17 weeks.
17 weeks! I have mine roaming with the flock during the day and sleeping in the main coop (on the floor) at 5 weeks. But my brooder is in the coop from Day 1 and I have a lot more room than you. So you can't do that.

Mrs K's method should work well but I'd do it differently. Build your shelter in the run. After they are comfortable in that shelter create an opening big enough for the chicks but not big enough for older pullets, just like she suggested. Let them use that as a safe haven and sleep out there at night. Let them mingle with the older pullets for three or four weeks and sleep in that outside shelter that long before you try moving them into the main coop. Don't rush them.

Mrs K's method, my method, or some other version. As long as you let them get to know each other and don't rush it you can do it.

This is what I did to get my pullets used to roosting on a 'bar'. Just drilled a screw into both ends.

Attachments

• attachment1 (6).jpeg
    attachment1 (6).jpeg
    523.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210329_112905298.jpg
    IMG_20210329_112905298.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom